This is an incredibly busy season at HVBC, but even as we approach Holy Week and Easter, I encourage you to make plans now to join us for our annual Operation Inasmuch on Saturday, April 18th. It is time to begin signing up for projects and collecting items we will need to make this Operation Inasmuch a successful day. Please note that the Missions Team is asking for donations of various items that will be part of our Inasmuch effort. You can find the list of items requested here. Please help us by bringing these items and placing them in the designated container in the children’s hallway.
We also ask that you begin prayerfully considering how you can serve during Operation Inasmuch. The Missions Team has lined up the following projects and believes there are ways that all ages and abilities will be able to participate.
- Sing for and visit with residents at 2 retirement communities – this group will sing at Durham Regent and at Carillon. After sharing some hymns and songs, there will be a time to talk with the residents and pass out goodie bags that are being prepared by our children in their Sunday School class.
- Block Party at McDougald Terrace – this group will prepare and serve a hot dog lunch and will also have a variety of games, crafts, and activities for the residents to en-joy. We will also be distributing toiletry kits. We will need a large group of people to coordinate the various activities and to engage the residents in conversation.
- Staining several wooden areas at Urban Ministries of Durham – this project needs about 4 volunteers.
- Outdoor clean-up and yard work at Urban Ministries – this project will work at cleaning some areas around Urban Ministries and if we can secure some mulch, these volunteers will also be spreading the mulch to help the grounds look clean and neat.
- Sorting clothes at Urban Ministries – this group of 6 to 8 volunteers will assist the clothing ministry of Urban Ministries by sorting and organizing clothing donations.
- Writing notes of appreciation to local police officers – this group will prepare notes of encouragement and support to be given to local public servants.
- Preparing casseroles for persons staying at The Caring House while undergoing medical care or treatment at Duke Hospital – whether you can attend on April 18 or not, we will be collecting frozen casseroles that will be delivered to The Caring House so that they can be reheated when needed.
- Pack bags of food to support the BackPack Buddies program at Githens Middle School – because many students go to homes without adequate food supplies, this group will pack bags of needed food items that will be delivered to Githens where they will be sent home with students so that the students will have access to meals when they are not in school.
- Packing Bean Soup mixture for the food pantry at Urban Ministries – this group will take designated amounts of various types of beans, pasta, and seasonings and combine them in Ziploc bags to be distributed to people in need.
- Collecting toys for the Make-A-Wish Foundation – we will be collecting toys that will be distributed to children dealing with life-threatening illness and to their siblings.